25 April 2011

16

Soon to be Graduate - wow!
That's how many days of school that Peanut has left.  I can't believe it.  I was setting up to fund the girls' lunch accounts when I realized that her primary pedagogics were just about over... and that is when life will hit us in the face.

As much as I grumble about the afternoon pick up routine, it's a routine and I can set my life around it.  The weeks before high school graduation are a veritable mess* of pointless meandering around town.  Take a gander at this - keeping in mind that Hobbit is in school from 8:40 until 2:45 each week day.  That means that I have to leave to drop her off at school by 8:15 a.m. and then back to pick her up no later than 2 p.m. or else I'll be sitting out on the highway waiting instead of being one of the first few cars in line... I can't stand not being one of the first few cars because we get home so much faster - we can turn left before the crossing guard shuts the gate and makes us to turn right!

Anyway, here is what our life is going to look like going forward - oh and don't forget Pokey's birthday on May 29th coupled with my folks being with us from May 26th until June 2nd when they leave with both kids for vacation:
  • April 29th - Prom from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m.
  • May 7th - Grad Bash at Universal Studios from 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. (parking lot by 4:45 p.m for bus and back at 4:30 a.m. for pick up the next morning).
  • May 9th week - Senior Exams
  • May 17th - Day/Night Awards
  • May 18th - Seniors Check Out - book turn in and off campus between 8:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
  • May 24th - Graduation Practice from 9:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. at location across town.
  • May 25th - Graduation Practice from 9:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. at location across town.
  • May 27th - Graduation Ceremony at 6 p.m. (students have to be there no later than 5 p.m.)
Now, I remember when I was a senior in high school.  I did all of these, including a Senior Baccalaureate Breakfast, but there is one super huge difference - I had my license and my own car.  Peanut has neither.

Before anyone wonders why we wouldn't let her - that's not it at all.  She actually has no desire, unlike the average teenager.  I know I was chomping at the bit to learn how to drive and get my license.  Peanut is the most uncomfortable driver and while she does have a permit, she has never asked to drive anywhere... which leaves me to be the chauffeur.

I know that Hobbit will be the exact opposite when she is the same age.  That child is so independent and knows all, just ask her.  When her time comes, she will probably already have the forms filled out and the book memorized.  I remember begging Peanut to read the book which is why we never pushed her to learn how to drive.  We figured that she would do it when she was ready and a permit is good for two years... we did, however, think that she would be driving by now.

I guess she really won't need it if she positions herself right - plus, think of all the money she is going to save on insurance and car payments and upkeep.  I checked online and a simple MetroCard pass is only $50 a month for students, $100 a month for the average joe... a $650 a month savings (car note, insurance and gas).

Perhaps that which is inconvenient now is financial genius later... procrastination can be profitable.

*not my initial thought (warning: foul language) - this is the real word I wanted to use but it wasn't appropriate... it honestly was the first word I thought of and then got stuck for about five minutes trying to find another!

1 comment:

  1. lol .. I love the link to urban dictionary. .. lol
    Put some nice relaxing music in the car .. or some really angry stuff to keep you calm or motivated .. which ever the moment calls for

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...