09 February 2019

Cattle calls...

Don't you love going somewhere in a large group - meaning roughly 10 people - and you have to do a simple meet and greet. It is a short affair. You are told to stand up, say what your end goal is, and why you should be the one to do it. Every anxious introvert's dream come true, right?

But you do it because this project is important to you. The first person doesn't follow the directions and gives a long dissertation that doesn't even answer the prompt. The second person, who is wearing jeans of all things to a gathering of professionals, gives a summary of her life which also doesn't answer the prompt and sits down.

You are next so you stand up, state your name, declare your end goal, and give a concise answer as to why you should be the one to do it.

The other members of the party continue on the diatribe format that does not answer the question but you are smiling and pretending to be engaged. You are mindful that your face doesn't say anything out loud that it shouldn't. You are faking interest and confidence.

Once it is over, you are reminded to turn your ringer back on so that you can receive their call back with an invitation to their assessment. You head to your car, turn your ringer on, and head home.

Almost 24 hours later and no call. So what is the take away here? Screw the directions and give a diatribe next time the situation presents itself? Your personality is rubbish and everyone disliked you? You orator skills suck and you should just give up?

I honestly don't know but I can tell you that it is disheartening to see how following the directions given is not what they actually wanted. All I can do is believe that I was meant for something else. I won't give up and I won't let it get me down. I have faith that what I am searching for is out there and will be arriving soon. I was simply meant for more.

Next time, though, could you just do this over the phone and save me the two hours of driving?  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...