23 February 2016

Pass the blessings

Are you blessed with a friend that, no matter how much time passes, you can pick up the phone and just talk like no time has passed at all? If you are, then you know the kind of blessing I'm talking about here. I have a friend like that - she's a sister to me and an aunt to my children. There may not be any blood between us but that doesn't negate the fact that she's family to me.

There have been times in both our lives when we've dropped everything for one another - no matter the miles between us - and been at each other's side because we knew that we just had to be there for whatever the other may need. Happy and heartbreaking events have fueled these road trips. I truly believe that I would be a completely different sort of woman today if God had not seen fit to bless me with her friendship.

Today, I learned that her half sister is battling cancer. She wanted to know if she shipped me yarn if I would make her a few hats. I don't need her to ship me any yarn - I need to know colors, styles, likes, dislikes, sense of humor, and weights. I can handle the yarn and I will definitely make her a clutch of hats simply so that this beautiful soul feels beautiful again.

So if you know of anyone - and sadly, we all do in some fashion - going through such trials, I thought I would share the collection of patterns with you... and if you feel moved to donate to my collection to her, that would definitely pass the blessings on. Just shoot me a PM on Ravelry (PprmntMochaMama)  and I'll give you my address to send them to so we can make her smile again.

All images to follow belong to their original posters and they retain all rights.

Cannon Hat by Annina Päivärinta
Martine Hat by Lisa R. Myers
Spa Turban by Yarnstarved Creations
Captain Hat by Rosi Garmendia
Striped Chemotherapy Cap by Essie Woods Bruell
Hallowig by Megan Reardon
Wurm by Katharina Nopp
LuAnn Chemo Hat by Beverly Forester
These are just a few that I've found and added to my library on Ravelry. If you have a favorite pattern that you know is beloved by others, please share. I'd love to add it to my list of hats to make for her.

I hope that you hug your loved ones tight and if they are too far to physically reach, please call them and let them know they are loved. Younger kids will hug you back, older ones will roll their eyes, parents will have hearts bursting with joy, and anyone in between will smile and feel the warmth of your love - and that should be something we strive to do for others every day. Always let those you love know they are in your heart because some days, just knowing that one person loves you is all you need to find the strength to keep going.

Secretly, I hope to have a box full of hats - for her and any of the other people in the room where she has her treatments who needs a bit of love - but if I can only fill a small padded envelope with a handful, that is still a handful of blessings be passed on to someone who needs a little extra strength to fight her battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...