10 January 2019

Ten days in and...

I have mixed feelings about this new year. One the one hand, it is a year full of possibilities and wonder... and on the other it is 355 more days of the same old same old.

I don't buy into the whole "new year, new you" garbage that is thrown at you this time of year. You are you. Be you. Embrace you. Enjoy you. Celebrate you. You don't need to change or become the societal version of whatever norm they deem normal this week. As long as you are happy, healthy, and aren't hurting anyone (including yourself) then you are aces!!

Everyone at work has jumped on this one particular fad diet bandwagon and I did not. I don't do fad diets. I don't do diets, period. I know my body type and what it needs. Cutting things out of your diet is not healthy for you. All things in moderation. Moderation is the key to everything in life. Am I the societal version of whatever norm they deem normal this week? Oh heck no... but the flip side to that question is do I care... and the answer is still oh heck no.

Even my year of (mostly) selfish crafting got off on a strange start. I cast on a Sockhead Hat, a pair of Susie Roger's Reading Mitts, and had to start a baby blanket for Pokey to give his boss who is expecting a child apparently next week. I admit to being less than gracious about gift crafting in January when I had just declared that this year, I was going to be (mostly) selfish - I even farmed out a sweater for my husband to my mother to finish! I was serious about it this year!!

So ten days into this year and I can say that my first FO of 2019 was indeed selfish! I finished my Sockhead Hat the other day while waiting on Hobbit from one of her appointments. I love it too. I've worn it a few times and thankfully, the temperatures are going to be low (for Florida, that means in the 40s when I get off work) for the next week at least.


I really do love the colors. It is so cheerful and the weight of this hat is honestly perfect for most of the year here in Florida. I can wear simply because I love wearing hats! I also have my mitts about 75% completed as well...


I finished one completely on the 2nd or 3rd and I put it down to finish the hat and now, I picked it back up again the other day because I didn't want "second mitt" syndrome to kick and these babies are made out of merino and cashmere so you know they are delicious to work on and wear. I got to just before the thumb gusset at work yesterday...


So now, I am thinking I can finish that blasted baby blanket with a bit more grace than I started it with. Here is where I am as of right now...


I have toddler feet, I swear. That skein is about halfway done. I am not sure how much bigger it will get but I have five colors to go. It appears to end on the dark green which I think will give it good balance.

How has your new year started out? Anything amazing in the works?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...