13 January 2019

I'm sorry... what now?

This is getting ridiculous. I am not going to ask forgiveness or apologize for the color of my skin - just as I would NEVER ask anyone else to do so. I am not going to seek out designers based on the color of their skin - white, black, brown, purple, or green. I am not going to seek out designers based on their physical or mental abilities either... or their age... or where they live... or any other non-issue factor because when you do that, you are still being discriminatory.

I base my decisions on the product at hand, on the beauty of the design, and on the price versus quality for which the product is being offered. Those are my deciding factors. I don't need to know about anything else, just as the seller doesn't need to know those things about me.

Can you imagine walking into a store and asking if the maker of the product was of a specific ethnic background? Would you ask if the designer of the product had any physical or mental challenges? Could you even fathom asking about what the person did behind closed doors in their own bedroom? I should hope not - because those things have absolutely no baring on whether or not the product that caught your eye is worth the price they are asking for it. The item is something you want, you have the funds, then purchase it. Plain and simple.

If you like it, buy. If you don't, don't buy it. The rest of the story is not something that has any weight in the process. Buying from a person because of the color of their skin is just as disgusting as not buying for the same reason. You show honor and respect for the item which, in turns, bestows honor and respect to the one who created it.

I grew up in Alabama. I know racism. I have seen it first hand. This is so not that. Stop it... and while we're at, stop apologizing for things out of your control. I have no privilege. My husband and I work our tails off to afford our little apartment and our cost of living bills. We have decent jobs with decent benefits. He has been working his backside off since he was 16 - 30 years grinding it out to get where he is today. I went to college (paid for by grants, scholarships, and student loans which I am STILL paying back), earned my degree - with honors because I worked hard for it, and have spent the past 25 years working nonstop. I am not yet where I want to be but I know what work that needs to be put in to get there and I am dedicated to doing it. No one has handed me anything. No one has handed our kids anything or my husband anything. We WORKED for it and we are WORKING for it.

I know this post has more than likely ruffled some feathers but I needed to get it off my chest. The events of late have ruffled mine. It is like the world is constantly looking for ways to be offended. I would rather look for ways to celebrate. Seek out the beauty in the world and if you can't find it, create it. The only way things will be as those who are causing this mess wish for them to be is to actually stop calling attention to the aspects that do not play a part in any of it - instead of looking for a black/brown/green/purple/white designer, just look for a designer. Instead of looking for a gay/lesbian/transgender artist, just look for an artist. I know you may think you are somehow rising above all when you call out these aspects of an individual but in reality, there is no need to call them out at all.

A person is a person. A designer is a designer. An artist is an artist. 

No one cares that I am a married, heterosexual, middle-aged, white woman with a mental challenge who earns just enough to keep her outside of the Federal poverty lines. When I step outside my door, I don't introduce myself as such - and neither does anyone else. We, as a society, need to stop pointing out every little thing and simply look at the bigger picture. A person is more than the sum of their parts. We seem to have forgotten that and spend the vast majority of our time and energy now dissecting and shining a spotlight on the parts instead of viewing the beauty of the whole person.

Race doesn't matter. Sexual orientation doesn't matter. Religion doesn't matter. The quality of the craftsmanship, the beauty of the design, the value of the product versus the price... this is what matters.

Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...