13 February 2014

That's what I get for planning

Yesterday I had a most awesome day planned.  I was going to spend it crafting.  All of it.  It was going to be glorious... and then, it began.

First Pokey sent me a message on Skype stating that their office drama queen had to leave early (the day before her vacation started, how convenient) which would leave one person at the office and they requested that he stay.  Normally not an issue but we had plans after supper to run some necessary errands and such, plus Pokey wasn't feeling well and had hoped that since he opened that day at 7:45 that he might able to scoot out after the girls had all had their lunches.  Apparently not and he ended up being roped into the overtime which would be welcomed but begrudgingly since he was ill.

Then the school clinic called and Hobbit needed her inhaler, which she forgot on her desk after a visit to Nana's house over the weekend.  This meant that Pokey had to take lunch an hour earlier, pick me up and take me to her school with the inhaler.  Hobbit was a nervous wreck but did her best, worried the entire time which I totally understand because I have had an asthma attack with no inhaler on me and it can be scary until you can get to it.

After that crisis was remedied, I went with Pokey back to work so I could have the car for errands once Hobbit got home.  We swung through a drive-thru for lunch, he ate in the car as he drove back, and then I took the car home and had my lunch.  It was delicious but my day was officially half over by now and not a single stitch was made.

Once lunch was finished my mama called to talk for a bit.  We had a lovely conversation and placed a friendly bet on how many butterflies she will have quilted by the time she is done with the extension on my wedding quilt.  Afterwards, I was getting my daily overtired, lack of caffeine headache so I set the kitchen timer and laid down for a quick 30 minute catnap.

When the timer went off, it was black as night outside.  The wind was whipping around everywhere and the temperature dropped tremendously.  I was worried that I had not set the alarm correctly, Hobbit wasn't home and things were just wrong.  I checked the clocks - yes, more than one because I wanted to be sure and you never know when a clock will lie to you because they can be cruel like that - and immediately went to the computer to check the weather.  We were under a severe thunderstorm warning and Hobbit was just about to be dismissed and placed on the school bus.  I did a quick calculation and debate in my head about going to get her but it was too late.  By the time I got there, she would have been placed on the bus so the only thing I could do was wait it out.

She's afraid of thunderstorms.  I'm afraid of thunderstorms.  We are both worriers so this was not good.  To make it worse, a little boy told her that there were tornadoes in our neighborhood and at Pokey's office, showing her radar from his cell phone and saying the red was all tornadoes. She was worried the whole way home for her mommy and daddy. Hobbit got off the bus and broke down in fresh tears, telling me what happened. I wanted to wring that little boy's neck when she told me.  Thankfully, her bus driver is an angel of a man.  He called her to the front and asked if she was okay so she told him all what the little boy had said and Mr. K told her that everything was going to be okay, she would be home soon to see herself. He also spoke to the little boy when he was getting off the bus to let him know that what he did was cruel - and that cell phones were not permitted on the bus so he got a referral.

Once I got her in, dry and settled, I sent Pokey a Skype note to let him know Hobbit was home - and the events on the bus.  He then said that his lead was able to be at the office so he could leave at his normally scheduled time.  So I piled Hobbit in the car and we left to go get him, dodging horrible pockets of heavy rain and thunderstorms the entire way.  Once we collected him and made it back home, I was worn out.  We had our chicken nugget salad with tortilla strip toppings and I had the two of them in bed by 8 o'clock.

The house was quiet so I did what I had planned to do all day, I finally sat down to craft and the end result was well worth it to me.  While I was watching the finale in pairs figure skating, I finished up a hat that I had started at the end of my shift the day before and it was just in time too because it is a whopping 55*F with 23 mph winds.  Here is the fruit of my labors, in all it's glory, along with my cheesy self being tickled with the hat and the hair...

I turned the hat in for my History of Magic assignment and double duty as my first Disneylmpic item!
 So my day did not got according to plan but at least I now have an awesome slouch hat that I love made from yarn that was a complete surprise and two classes away from hitting all six again this month over at HPKCHC.  I can't say that it was a complete bust but I can say, that's what I get for planning because it never fails.  I make arrangements for a 'me day' full of crafting and the end result is never that... sigh.

Today though, I'm not planning on anything but laundry so maybe I can sneak in some crafting under the cosmic radar.  Fingers crossed, a row or two can get done before everyone gets home and the chaos begins anew.


  1. Oh my, what a horrible day, poor you :-( We're having dreadful weather over in the UK too- we had a terrible storm on Friday night, and it's really scary. I'm glad to hear that you finally got to do your crafting though, what a fab hat! Laura x

    1. I saw coverage of those storms on the news, it looked very scary. I hope you came out of it alright, no flooding or damage.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...