20 June 2014

Promise... forever... no matter what

I love that this is what the top of my husband's dresser looks like - memories of the happiest day of our life, front and center.
Six years ago today I stood on a beach where I had my last first kiss and married my best friend.  We promised to love one another forever... and we're making good on it every day.

People thought we were crazy when we got married because our entire relationship prior to that was just 87 days long... sometimes I think the only one who believed in us was us.  Many people thought we were never going to make it because they felt we didn't know each other.  The truth was, we knew each other inside and out.  Talking hours on end about everything and anything.  Nothing was ever kept secret - we have always been completely honest with one another.  We don't hold grudges or play emotionally hurtful games.  We talk - when we're happy with one another and when we're not.  We may not always like one another, but we always love one another.  We know it's okay to disagree but we have never gone to bed angry - even if it meant staying up and talking about it until 4 am on a work night.  We invest the time and energy into our relationship because it has always been important to us.  We nurture it, care for it, and protect it with all we have - we are stronger together than we will ever be apart.

These past six years have been a roller coaster and I can't imagine taking this ride with anyone else.  I am the luckiest girl in all of creation to have been blessed with Pokey.  He makes me laugh, protects me, loves me, desires me, and completes me.  He thinks I hung the moon, and even if some days it may be a little crooked it still looks perfect to him.  He is still the first person I want to see when I wake up each morning and his voice is the last sound I want to hear before I fall asleep each night.  It still amazes me every day that this gorgeous man even looked twice at this nerdy girl.  He is the answer to every one of my prayers and I thank God every day and every night for making him just for me.

Happy anniversary, Pokey.  I love you... promise... forever... no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...