11 June 2012

A moment, if I may...

source
I think I may be the only knitter in the universe who does not much care for yarn bombing... it could be the whole illegal aspect of it.

Yep, you read that correctly - it is illegal to yarn bomb.  It is no different than graffiti or any other type of street art because it is still being placed on public property without consent... not to mention the dangers that the yarn may place on the wildlife. Yes, I said dangers. No one ever stops to think that the animals will eat or chew on the yarn. Knitted yarn can unravel in the stomach and intestines causing the intestine to rip if the yarn gets stretched at all, killing the poor animal.

Think before you decide to "beautify" an area by yarn bombing... why not just make a nice pair of socks instead.  You can 'yarn bomb' your feet - keeping animals safe and it's totally legal to boot!

I do believe that all art is beautiful - even the ones that I don't understand- but I also believe that criminal acts are illegal - even the beautiful ones.

9 comments:

  1. AS cool as it looks, I have to agree that it is dangerous to the critters who live in the trees. Good for you for speaking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I must admit that I am surprised that most all have agreed with my position and concern and not one has sent me anything ugly.

      Delete
    2. The people who disagree with you are busy preparing to yarn-bomb something... ;) Off to decorate the outdoors!

      Delete
  2. Tho it occasionally makes me smile, I have to say I agree! However, there is a planned yarn-bombing coming up here on our local state college. They'll be "bombing" the art/statues all over the campus BUT the participants actually have the permission from the school which has a pretty big art dept. and is treating the bombing as an art as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will they be removing it as well? I have heard of places doing it as a planned, permitted project - like the UK and the upcoming phone boxes that will be bits of art, one of which will be yarn bombed.

      Delete
    2. I think I read that they would--I'm sure the whole thing wouldn't have been allowed if a removal wasn't part of it! :O) (Wonder what they do with the yarn when they're done? It can't be usable after being exposed to the elements. What a waste!?)

      Delete
    3. I know - I'd rather knit something beautiful and donate it to a charity instead.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...