03 August 2012

Weekend Wonderment ~ Nine Old Men edition

I talk all the time about Nerd Wars and how much fun it is... I show projects that I've created and stuff but I've never actually shown you what a true challenge submission looks like and all the work that goes into one. Today that changes.

Below is what I'm working on for the Geek Pride challenge and once I've completed my item, this will be my submission... and I have to say, I am rather proud of it even before I've made the item!

Name: PprmntMochaMama
Team: Club 33
Project: Walt's Nine Old Men

It's still in progress - you can see it grow on my project page though


Craft Used: Crochet
How Does This Answer The Challenge: Walt Disney has been famously quoted as saying "I am in no sense of the word a great artist. I have always had artists working for me whose skills were greater than my own."  These men that he surrounded himself with were affectionately referred to as Walt's Nine Old Men, each now a Disney Legend.

source

These men, along with Walt Disney himself, created such classics as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", "Mickey and the Beanstalk" and "Mary Poppins", just to name a few.  If you have seen a piece of Disney's work from the 1930s through to 1981, then chances are you have seen the work of these "nine old men".  There is a wonderful documentary entitled "From Walt's Table: A Tribute to Disney's Nine Old Men" that was released in 2005 that is well worth a watch.

This square is my crafty interpretation of Walt and his Nine Old Men.  The red center crosses represent each member of group, the white is depicting the beautiful legacy they left behind and the red border is for Walt himself, who held it all together seamlessly.

Team Tie-In: Walt's favorite color was red - well actually, he had two that were his favorites, red and blue but he could never narrow it down any further than that so when asked, he would alternate his answer.  I made this square while sharing classic Mickey Mouse cartoons with my daughter - including my favorite, Boat Builders.


This square would make a great pocket hanky for Mickey while he labored away on the Queen Minnie... and since Walt was the voice of Mickey for so many years, including in this cartoon, the colors are perfect for both of them.

Anyone care to join in the fun in October?  Lots of nerdy goodness to be found over at Nerd Wars - take a look and hopefully I will see you around Lounge soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...