07 April 2014

Balancing act

Working from home sounds like it is a dream job, doesn't it.  It's got a lot of perks and a lot of pluses to it but don't be fooled, like any job out there, it has a few set backs.  My biggest one, life balance.

It's a constant juggle to keep things separated.  I have the personality type where I can get lost in my work.  It happened at Disney and my family suffered because of it.  I would go in to work early and stay at work late.  Not because I didn't want to be at home - I did, I love my family to no end - but I also loved my job to no end.  I had a difficult time striking a healthy balance.

I love working on cases at my current job.  If I could do nothing but research all day, I would be one happy camper.  It's not that I don't like talking to people, it's just that I enjoy getting lost in the research that much more.  The problem comes in when there is overtime available.  An hour here, two hours there, and before I know it, I've worked half a shift before my shift even starts.
My work space, in all it's 'natural' glory.. except my tablet which normally sits on the big square and plays music or shows while I work so I don't get whackadoodle in a quiet room.
When that happens, my house suffers.  Sure, I've not physically left my house but I've not attended to it either.  Supper duty gets left on my husband's shoulders after he's worked a long day.  My daughter ends up eating super late because of either my break schedule or his work schedule getting him home after 7 pm.  There are Buddy Bunnies plotting a house-wide coup.  Mt. Dontwannawashit becomes a daunting thing and the kitchen, though technically a chore that my husband volunteered to acquire when I went back to work, just gets too icky for me to function.

It doesn't happen overnight.  It just slowly creeps up on me so then I take a day and reign it all back in.  I don't like those days - because it means I've lost my balance again.  Tomorrow will be one of those days for me, though I've gotten a head start on it yesterday so it won't be so bad.

Once you find your balance, do your best to keep it up.  Everyone in your life will be happier for it - including yourself.  I love the book of Proverbs so whenever I get out of balance, Chapter 11, Verse 1 always pops into my head... "A false balance is abomination to the Lord: but a just weight is His delight."

It's time for me to get a just weight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...