16 January 2013

A few firsts

One can never go wrong with a book from Nicholas Sparks.
I have done something this week that I have never done in my entire life.  It is a simple thing but I just could never bring myself to do it before.  It felt wrong somehow in the past but last night, I did it - I gave up on a book. 

It's true.  I have always trudged through stories that never quite grabbed me in hopes that it would get better - the recent agony of reading "The Hunger Games" proves that point. 

Last night, Pokey looked at me in earnest and said "Why continue reading it if you aren't enjoying it?  It's not like you are going to be graded on it for school or anything.  Reading is supposed to be fun and enjoyable so if the book is neither for you, find a new one." 

I pondered his position for a few minutes and decided he was right.  I don't have to read it and I gave it a good honest go - 1/3 of the book was complete - so I removed my bookmark and placed the little novel on a pile to be donated to my folks when they get here.  I went to my bookshelf and there, sitting ever so patiently, was the book I was supposed to be reading.  A tale that would move me and captivate me from the first chapter - "The Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks.  He has never let me down and I needed to have my faith in popular literature restored - Mr. Sparks is definitely the man to do it.

I must say, within the first three pages, I was hooked.  I am going to curl up on the sofa as soon as I'm done here and continue reading where I left off last night... and isn't that how you are supposed to feel about the book you are reading - so captivated that you don't want to put it down.  It's nice to be sucked into a story again, I've missed it so very much.

On a different note, I'm wanting to make something sweet today.  I've got a hankering for a light, sweet citrus 'thing' and I'm not sure what it is that I want.  I am leaning towards some orange creamsicle cupcakes.  It's simple but very delicious.  That just may be what is called for to satiate the monster that is my sweet tooth.

4 comments:

  1. Might I recommend Donna Ball's Ladybug Farm series. They are delightful, easy reads that I have fallen in love with. I really think you'd enjoy them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - that was the hardest thing I learned! And I dont think I learned it until I was in my 40's! What a relief to realize that you dont HAVE to finish it jsut because you started it (even tho after I had that epiphany I still made myself slog thru House of Sand and Fog - HATED THAT BOOK! Excellant writing - but I absolutely despised every character in that book...never have seen the movie!). It was an epiphany - that there are literally more books out in the big wide world than I will ever have time to read (no matter how hard I try!!) so why waste time reading a bad book (AKA one I am not interested in) when I could be spending that same time on a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was teaching in the Library Media Center a few years ago and giving book talks to 4th and 5th graders I told them that if they started a book (for recreational reading) .... and after 3 chapters they weren't loving it ... that it was just fine to stop and choose another book!! They loved the idea ... they had never heard that before cuz the message is always finish your book. This is so freeing ... and your husband is right ... no one is grading on this nor do you have to give a book report!! This type of reading is for fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...