27 December 2010

I Get It Now Mama, I Do...

When I was a little girl, I couldn't wait for Christmas.  The decorations and tree all held magic.  The world transformed at Christmas time and it was wonderful.... which is why I never understood why my mama would want to take down all the magical things as soon as the calendar page turned to December 26th. 

We put our decorations up on Thanksgiving weekend.  As soon as Santa arrives at noon on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, it's Christmas in our house.  We can't wait and everyone is involved in the decorating and merriment.  Inside, outside and if you hold still long enough, even you would get covered in something red and green.

This year it hit me though, as soon as the presents were opened and the calm started to settle on the house - I wanted it all put up.  I wanted things back to normal.  I honestly felt completely out of sorts on December 26th to have holiday trappings all over the place.  Without thinking, I began to gather them up and place them on the dining room table - a process I watched my mother do my entire childhood.  Today, I took down the tree and put all the items in the garage.  The outside still has lights but that is Pokey's domain and he's taking them down on his day off - he promised.

Now, my house is back in order and I can breathe again.  Life seems to have found it's center and is no longer spinning out of control.  Order has been restored and it feels great. 

It seems that I have grown into a shirt that I received as a teenager.  It said "Mirror, Mirror on the wall... I'm like my mother after all". 

Apparently I am, and I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...