28 May 2011

Old Dog, New Trick

Psychedelic Squares
Yesterday afternoon, my mama taught me something new.  It wasn't as difficult as I had originally anticipated.  It actually was quite easy.  The directions I had read numerous times before which all sounded like a foreign language to me with a secret handshake that I had no chance of ever learning were suddenly starting to make sense... I was crocheting!

I have a love of granny squares.  I always have.  My mama made me a bedspread when I was a little girl that was nothing but granny squares and it was perfect.  I held on to it through college and then, somewhere along the way, I no longer possessed it.  I have no idea what happened to it because barring a natural disaster eating it whole, I would have kept it for all eternity.  Over the years, I have attempted to learn crochet and over the years, I have failed.  I would give it an honest go but my knitting brain was not comprehending the crochet word.  I couldn't get my hands to do what my logical brain thought it could figure out... and actually, I still don't know if I could because I was taught the same way I learned to knit - sitting at my mama's feet.
My 1st Granny Squares

There I was, just like so many years before, with instrument and yarn in hand, eager to tackle the project... and I was successful!  I now know how to make a granny square.  I don't know the names of the stitches.  I don't know how to write out the pattern but I can work it.  I can physically manipulate the hook and yarn to create cute little squares... and that makes this old dog very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...