02 April 2012

Sometimes, it pays to be stubborn

Jack Sparrow compass coaster - points to WDW!
If I wasn't stubborn, I would not have figured out how to make this square... this circle in a square square.  Yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself and for a couple of reasons.  The first is that I had been trying to figure this out on my own for several weeks but I always ended up with a ruffly thing.  Once I came really close but it was still off.  This time... this time I read a pattern and it came out right.  Two wins, right there - I read a pattern AND it came out right!

Yesterday I also gave making amigurumis another go.  I haven't been real thrilled with the final results of my first two attempts.  Yeah, Miss Waddlesworth is really cute but she isn't really amigurumi because only her skirt and flower are crochet so she's a mostly knit toy.  Miss Francis Flutterby wasn't a roaring success because to me, she looks like a flying pickle instead of an actual butterfly.  That was then though, this is now.

Hobbit and Tutter, new best friends
Now, yesterday I was busting my tail working on NerdWars challenges.  I have a lot to do this month but I still want to gleam the cube and complete all the challenges.  I made Tutter to answer a challenge yesterday too and I am really proud of him.  He is technically a pattern fail but I prefer to think of it as "design improv" instead.  The best part, I have a child who absolutely loves to get handmade items.  Clothes and toys - if you made it by hand, she cherishes it.  I don't know if it's because my mother and I both craft and her sister is an artist so she has been raised around people who are creative so she sees the time and effort put into things or if she is just one of those souls who appreciates gifts in general.  Either way, she sure knows how to make a person feel fabulous about giving her a present.

Just like Walt always said ~ “Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

Always remember to keep moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo for figuring out your circle-in-a-square! And thanks for the good reminder...onward!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...