26 April 2012

Love knows no season (3KCBWDAY4)

Source
I love to knit. I've done it for going on 20 years if you can believe it - I know I just did a triple check but it's true. I can't imagine a day without some time to sit down and work on my projects. Crochet has wormed it's way into my heart as well - a craft I attempted to master in my teenage years but didn't and only just picked it back up last year when my folks were in town for Peanut's graduation. I plopped down at my mama's feet one afternoon and learned how to make a granny square... and I haven't stopped.

I live in Florida - or as I call it, The Surface of the Sun. There are no seasons. We have "hot", "dang hot", "gates of hell hot" and "Christmas". If I were to craft for my "seasons" all I could make would be hot pads and bookmarks. So what's a crafter to do - I'll tell you!

For any crafter who lives in a climate like mine, there are three simple rules to make your creative life amazing. These have been my little secret for years so please, prepare yourself for the wonderment ~
  1. Marry a man who is constantly cold. It's true, if it gets below 78 around here you will find Pokey bundled up like Nanook of the North.
  2. Send your beloved child off to university as close to the Arctic Tundra as possible. In our case, that would be South Dakota.
  3. Donate all your beautiful things. I ran a charity for years that was devoted to making and sending hats to our troops. We branched out to making items for wounded soldiers at prestigious medical hospitals. The economy shut down our operation but I still create and donate to others who survived the turn.
I love to make things out of all kinds of woolly goodness. I live on The Surface of the Sun. Typically this wouldn't work but I can confirm that honest love truly knows no season.

3KCBWDAY4

30 comments:

  1. What a great post, and such contrast to my own! I don't think I could survive in a constantly hot climate, and I actually think I'd miss the changing landscape of the seasons if I moved somewhere with no defined seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a daily task for me to find the positive of living in this climate. I miss seasons and actual weather but I was promised that as soon as Pokey retires, we can move. Now, I only have to hang on for 20 more years!

      Delete
  2. Cotton and lace are great options for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you - I was always taught to share your wisdom with the world... lol.

      Delete
  4. Living in the UK I can't imagine a climate like yours all year round. I love the fact you've married a man you can keep warm though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in my dream location so as soon as Pokey retires, we're moving to your area... I'll get in touch, we'll do a knitting night 20 years from now - you game?

      Delete
  5. Wow, how generous of you to give away so much of your work. I'm too selfish for that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we move, I have a feeling that my generosity might diminish to simple gift knitting.

      Delete
    2. WHEN you move? Something in the planning stages?

      Delete
    3. We've decided that when he retires, we want to move to the UK - leaning towards Scotland at the moment... so we've got 20 years to plan... lol.

      Delete
  6. Living in Australia I understand the 'gates of hell hot' type of day. It's lovely that you share so much of what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know others understand the miserableness of living in such a climate.

      Delete
  7. Ha, where I live, 20 degrees celcius is generally considered 'gates of hell hot'! But very nice of you to donate your handmades to a worthy cause, you can be sure they're put to good use, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog made me smile today :) Great tips that you came up with too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. There are times, like when you see blizzards shutting down cities and cars slipping all over the interstate, when you kind of appreciate the mundane blue sky and warm weather... other days, you wish for a nice few days of nothing but good solid rain.

      Delete
  10. HA, this is great! Thank goodness for air conditioning. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my heavens, I would die without it... and my hair - have mercy!

      Delete
  11. What a great post! If ever you want to do a home swap, just let me know... :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have seasons, I'll give it a go - how does August work for you?

      Delete
  12. Beautiful post, hilarious descriptions for your seasons, and you are the only other person I have every heard refer to the Nanook of the North (it would be me bundled in this case, not Hubs...). Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We joke all the time that he is a Florida sun lizard and I'm more a 'Bama belle that requires shade, a fan and a mint julep.. lol.

      Delete
  13. I love how you described your seasons. I grew up in the pacific Northwest in Washington State. The season there are rainy, cloudy and chilly, and a week or 2 of sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could so live there and be perfectly content... Pokey, on the other hand, would be miserable.

      Delete
  14. I too love that your hubby is always cold. :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to mess with the AC in the car - he turns beautiful shades of blue.

      Delete
  15. I love your little secrets, especially the charity knitting. I always wondered what knitters did in hot climates. I have already told my little guy that he's going to college in Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only downside to having at school so far away is that I haven't seen her in a year and I miss her terribly... but hey, I can knit care packages from home, right?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...