08 July 2011

Just what I needed

Perfect rainy day companion
It's dreary here today and it's just what I needed.  It is so dark at 9 a.m. that it looks more like 9 p.m. and the rain that is falling adds to the effect.  We won't go into the soft rumble of thunder that can be heard in the background because I'm not a fan of thunder boomers so we'll just focus on the rhythmic splattering of the raindrops on the stones outback.

Days like today mean one thing to me - relaxation.  I won't spend them in front of the computer wasting away the hours.  Nope.  Days like today scream to be enjoyed curled up with a good book or spent knitting while watching some classic movies.

To be honest, I haven't picked up my knitting since the Harry Potter marathon earlier this week.  I made some wonderful headway on my project but I needed a break.  I needed to put it down and miss it for a few days, which I believe I have accomplished.  Today I want to sit down and work on it - wanting to sit down and work on a project as opposed to feeling that you have to work on it makes a world of difference to me.

The longer you spend in the knitting community, the more you will hear about the great "Process vs. Product" Debate.  I can't participate in these discussions because I enjoy both the process of making my items and the end product of all my hard work.  Many people knit simply for the act of knitting that they enjoy.  They don't care much about the lovely item that they are creating.  Conversely, others knit solely for the end result.  The process of knitting the stitches is nothing more than a means to an end.  I knit for both.  I love the process AND I love the end product.  Both give me great joy and amazement.

So today I will dedicate the process... and I'm thinking a good Cary Grant movie is the perfect compliment to today's events.  What is your favorite rainy day activity?  Might I suggest entering the giveaway and then joining me on the sofa - there's plenty of coffee to go 'round.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't picked up my knitting in a couple of days, for precisely the same reason - I need to miss it for a little while as it was becoming a chore ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...