21 July 2010

Best Cheesy Beef Enchiladas in the Universe!


I love to cook - it's true. I have a passion for good food. I fancy myself to be a decent cook and this is fed into by my expanding waistline and Pokey's accolades regarding whatever I serve him. Last night I created the greatest supper and I thought that perhaps you might like to make it as well.

I had a recipe for Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas, which is great, but I wanted beef ones. I didn't have a recipe for it and I couldn't modify my chicken one for obvious reasons if you knew the recipe (it calls for chicken stock and beef stock would just not work out right). So I did what any normal foodie would do - scoured the internet for ideas of how it works and what to do. Here is the final product. Enjoy!

Enchilada Sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp chili powder
8 ozs of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp onion powder

Directions for sauce
1. Heat oil on medium heat, stir in flour and chili powder. Stir continual so as to not burn the flour and wait until it turns a golden brown before proceeding.
2. Gradually stir in the sauce, mixing in all the flour and chili powder thoroughly. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat until heated through and flavors are infused.

Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
1 lb ground beef
Enchilada Sauce (recipe from above)
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend)
8 oz sour cream divided in half
1 can of corn
10 medium flour tortillas (I use the Mission Sun-dried Tomato ones for added flavor and color)

Directions for Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
1. Brown the ground beef and drain it.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F
3. Remove 1/2 cup of the sauce and set aside.
4. Add corn and Enchilada sauce. Simmer for about 5 minutes to infuse flavors.
5. Add half of the sour cream to mixture and stir in well. Simmer covered until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
6. Put 1/4 cup of sauce in bottom of 11 x 13 glass baking dish.
7. Pull out tortilla and place a line of cheese in the middle. Add beef mixture and roll up.
8. Repeat until you run out of room in your dish.
9. Sprinkle leftover sauce over top, add cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
10. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes prior to serving. Place a dollop of sour cream on each enchilada and enjoy.

There you have it - my cheesy beef enchilada recipe. Now, when I roll up my enchiladas, I do it a bit differently because I don't want to lose any of the yummy goodness from inside so I'll share what I do there. I fold up in the sides and then roll it up from the bottom so it's more like a little package. This keeps everything inside and no one will ever get that one with nothing in it because it all cooked out into the pan. It also makes it easier to get out since it is self contained.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this!! It sounds delicious and looks pretty easy. Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will warn you - I made 7 because that was all that fit into my dish... I still have enough to make another batch later in the week - I know I love meals that stretch and this definitely does!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...