05 August 2011

Internal struggle... and a losing battle.

Litchfield by Elizabeth Doherty
photo via Twist Collective Fall 2011
Y'all have no doubt heard about my soapbox issue for $6 single patterns before and this is not going to be another diatribe on that subject.  It is, however, going to be a mental hashing out of my desire to own a $6 pdf file that has two patterns on it.  I am honestly conflicted because the rational side of me keeps stating that it's wasteful or frivolous while the yarnoholic craft goddess side screams about how fabulous it is - and it's driving me buggers!

I was scrolling through my regular blog roll when I came across this fabulous pattern in Twist Collective's Fall 2011 collection.  The minute I saw it, I fell in love.  One of those little fan girl squeals escaped from me - Pokey giggled and I was floored.  I never knew that one skein of yarn could make something so utterly, breathtakingly gorgeous.  I wanted it and I wanted it now!  I also knew that I would make this item at least 4 times over - making my quick calculations at *roughly $0.75 earned back at that point.

This was bad... oh so very bad.  My universe was crumbling down around me.  I can't be that frivolous, I just can't.  Pokey and I are rubbish at managing money and I have made it my goal this month to start to get things moving in the right direction.  I had already, in the past three days, squished 4 different shopping dreams because in the big scheme of things, they weren't of value.  So with that kind of track record, what was I doing coveting such a pattern?  Well, it is two patterns for that price but I digress.

Isn't lovely?
Pokey was of absolutely no help.  I told him that I wanted it, almost honestly believed that I needed it, and that his job was to bring me back down to earth.  Do you know what his response was... if you like and you want it, then it's not frivolous or wasteful.  What kind of help is that?!?!  Sure, I can get a good return on this particular investment because I've already got 4 people lined up to receive this lovely - colors chosen and everything - but to tell me that my mindset and position on it is wrong just makes my head explode.

I don't know what to do - I'm lost.  I've spent so much time evaluating the practicality of the single pattern cost (and this is two patterns) versus the pattern book.  Is this is the future of knitting?  Should I just take this baby step and come to terms that every article I want to create is going to cost me $6 if it isn't free on Ravelry?  I don't know what to think about that.. I feel a Scarlet O'Hara moment coming on.

What do y'all think - is it frivolous or is it fine?

*$6/2=$3... 4 recipients/$3=$0.75

6 comments:

  1. Buy it! It's fabulous!

    I'm the opposite to you, I can't justify to myself the cost of a book where I might only make two or three of the patterns, so am happy to pay for individual things I know I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you want it that bad, you know you are going to make it not once, but at least 4 times, you have the colors picked out and the recipients, then why *not* buy it? It's not as if you won't get your money's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tink. I'd rather buy a pattern that I know I love than a book full of patterns for just the one or two. The only books I've been purchasing have been either stitch dictionaries (ok I only have two, one knit and one crochet) or books about designing. And the Yarn Harlot's books but those count more as fiction than knitting.

    Anyway, I say buy the pattern especially if you *know* you're going to knit it more than once. Or you can try to reverse engineer it/make something similar on your own but I don't know what your skills are like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. If it is a pattern you are most definitely going to do...buy it. Why pay the full price for the book if there is only 1 or 2 patterns you will do from it? Waste of money - waste of resources. The other thing I do - before I buy a book (one that might have only 1 or 2 patterns I want to do in it) - I check to see if the library has the book and if it does, I do not buy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my approach to buying a pattern or yarn etc. is a little different. We have various amounts of money allocated for various things and therefore the question is not just one of value, but whether or not I have money budgeted for it. If I've spent all my knitting budget, I'd see if this was something I could take out of my "gift budget" -- will this be a birthday or Christmas gift for someone and will their portion of the pattern/yarn equal the $'s I have budgeted to spend on their gift? And if I get really desperate and it's something I want to make for myself to wear I might take it out of my clothing budget. But in the end, if there's no room in my budget for it, I'll have to wait and buy it when there is $$'s available again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I read your FB post, all I can say is, You Go Girl! Really cute pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...