01 August 2011

M is for...

Motivation.

Have you ever reached a point in a project where you were just "over it" and lost interest?  It happens to me on larger projects with boring stitch work.  The monotony of it all just makes my brain go numb.  I love the project, I want the finished product but the section that makes me drudge along has me pulling my hair out at times... and that is when I need motivation.

For me, motivation comes in a couple of tried and true forms.  There are times when I motivate myself by browsing the pattern section of Ravelry and seeing what everyone else's finished product looks like - that will spark daydreams of my own finished product and I'll get back to work.  Sometimes I motivate myself by looking for my next project or simply queuing things up on Ravelry so that I have something to look forward to when I'm done.  My last resort motivator is to actually take a break from the project and finish off something quick and easy.  A simple change of gears is enough to get me back on track for the larger project again.
Case in point - remember this one?

I have learned over the years that I'm only good for about one huge project a year.  I can generally make about three or four medium sized projects but I am an instant gratification kind of girl - socks, hats, gloves - and those little things make great distraction projects too.  What are your ways of motivating yourself?

Want to join in the fun - click here.

6 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same - want the finished product but lose all motivation to actually get on and knit the damn thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a lot of the same. Especially finding a quick-finish project. Having that instant satisfaction really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just the same. But I found your post helpful because I think I should probably plan in some smaller projects. I'm not good at that, always looking for the next big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do all of the same. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm definitely a small project kind of girl too...even with quilting- i prefer doll quilts more than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right there with ya! That's why the quick knits are sometimes the best!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...