04 September 2011

My Mama's Zucchini Bread

I searched through my cooking link and I am surprised that I haven't written about this most amazing treat!  It is the best thing in the universe and for years I wouldn't share my recipe because it was sacred to me... then I thought about all the people who would never taste the wonderment that is Zucchini Bread.  I felt horrible for depriving others of this magical treat so without further ado - here is the best recipe ever written and I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do.

Let me know if you try this, I promise you won't be disappointed.  The bonus factor in our house is that I can get some delicious veggies into Hobbit and Peanut while still serving them something they love.

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 1 cup of oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 3 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups of flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
Directions
  1. Beat eggs until light and foamy.
  2. Add sugar, oil, zucchini and vanilla.
  3. Mix lightly but well.
  4. In separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon).
  5. Add dry ingredients to mixer in small increments.  Wait for dry mixture to be absorbed before adding the next amount.  I generally do it in about 1/2 cup portions.
  6. Make sure everything is mixed together well.
  7. Grease two standard loaf pans.
  8. Pour ingredients in (pans should each be about 3/4 of the way full).
  9. Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for roughly 1 hour.  When knife inserted into the center comes out clean, loaves are done.
  10. Cool for ten minutes in the pan on wire racks.
  11. After ten minutes, remove from pans and let them finish cooling on the wire racks.
And there you have it.  Now, to make the recipe my own, I also add 1 tsp of nutmeg.  I have also been known to add walnuts or pecans on occasion.  If you opt to do this, be sure to flour the nuts first so that they don't just sink to the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...